I am thirsty. / I feel thirsty.
The man was thirsty for power / Knowledge / success.
a creepy ghost story
People say ghosts haunt the old house.
The house is haunted (by the ghosts).
If something unpleasant haunts you, try to ignore it and move on.
She was haunted by bad feelings night and day.
The highway was blocked by a few trucks(货车).
The clouds blocked his view of the mountains.
n. 拥堵 大楼 街区
traffic block / jam
a block of flats(平地).
She walked three blocks down the main street.
a piece of furniture
shake shook shaken
shake hands with sb.
原句：While they were playing tennis, she started an argument that lasted all morning。
1、用介词（短语）替代从句。 when 引导的从句可以用during来替代，在方位及指路中可以用at 替代。
A public house which was recently bought by Mr.lan...
a public house
be up for sale
Mr... is going to sell it because it is haunted.
He told me that he could not go to sleep one night...
...he found that the doors had been blocked by chairs and the furniture had been moved.
... he found that the doors had been blocked by chairs and the furniture had been moved.
一般过去时 / 过去完成时(的被动语态)
Though Mr... had turned the lights off before he went to bed,they were on in the morning.
过去完成时 / 一般过去时
He also said that he had found five empty whisky bottles which the ghost must have drunk...
must have done 推测过去
When I suguested that some villargers must have come in for a free drink,Mr... shook his head.
even if 即使
修改后：During tennis she started an argument that lasted all morning。
1) While they were playing tennis, she started an argument that lasted all morning.
n. + v. -> 谓语动词的变化 : 时态 + 语态 + 情态 + 变态(改变时态)
简单句 / 并列句 / 复合句
复合句 = 主句 + 从句(名词性从句,定义从句,状语从句)
原句：When you come to the second traffic light, turn right。
1# During tennis, she started an argument that lasted all morning.
非谓语形式有三种：1、动词不定式：to do 2、动词的ing : doing 3、动词的过去分词：done。其中不定式表示目的和将来;动词的ing表示主动和进行；过去分词表示被动和完成。
修改后：At the second traffic light turn left。
2) When you come to the second traffic light, turn right.
策略之二：删除诸如"who is”或"that is"之类的关系代词，变从句为短语。例：
2# At the second traffic light, turn right.
一般式：不定式：主动to do ，被动to be done ; ing 形式：主动doing ，被动being done ;过去分词：被动done
原句：The novel, which is written in three parts, told a story that took place in the Middle Ages。
完成式：不定式：主动to have done ，被动to have been done;ing 形式：主动having done，被动having been done
修改后：The three-part novel told a story set in the Middle Ages。
1) The novel, which is written in three parts, told a story that is set in the Middle Ages.
进行式： 不定式to be doing
注：把句中的"three parts"改用形容词来表达，节省了四个不必要的单词"which is written in"。我们经常可以将关系代词如"that"去掉，这只会引起最少的变动。
1# Written in three parts, the novel told a story set in the Middle Ages.
1# The three-part novel told a story set in the Middle Ages.
不定式的复合结构：for / of sb. to do sth.
Two joint partners will present their views over a long-distance telephone call。
动词 ing 形式的复合结构：宾格或所有格+doing (-ing 形式作主语时，用的所有格+doing)
1) A neighbour who would like to help others will get certain help in return.
1# A helpful neighbour often receives help from others in return.
2) The couple that has just married plans to visit Chengdu in southwestern China.
Driving a car during the rush hour is tiring.在高峰时刻开车令人厌烦。(经验)
2# The newly-wed couple plans to visit Chengdu in southwestern China.
3) I want to thank people who are associated either in the past or at the present with the Shanghai International Studies University, such as Margaret Wang, Vivian Yang, Professor Li Guan-Yi and Miss Marion Baillie.
It took me only five minutes to finish the job.
3# I want to thank people associated with the Shanghai InternationalstudiesUniversity, past and present: Margaret Wang, Vivian Yang, Professor Li Guan-Yi and Miss Marion Baillie.
1) Two joint partners will present their views over a long-distance telephone call.
1# Two partners will present their views over a long-distance call.
What I would suggest is to start work at once.我的建议是立刻开始干。
2) We sometimes make choices that put our lives in jeopardy where death can occur.
2# We sometimes make choices that put our lives in jeopardy.
To see is to believe.百闻不如一见。
3) He gets so angry that he would like to take someone else's life and murder them.
3# Sometimes he becomes angry enough to contemplate murder.
His hobby is collecting stamps.他的爱好是集邮。
4) Liu Bin is employed at a TV station working as a news reporter.
4# 1) Liu Bin works at TV station as a news reporter.
4# 2) Liu Bin is a news reporter at a TV station.
4# 3) Liu Bin is a TV news reporter.
5) Sun Hong is determined in her mind to lose weight.
The pupils will get confused if they are made to learn too much.如果要学生学得太多，他们会感到糊涂的。
5# Sun Hong is determined to lose weight.
The argument is very convincing.他的论点很令人信服。
6) My car is a foreign import, not home-made.
6# My car is an import, not home-made.
7) This book will help you master the basic elements of good writing.
acknowledge，admit ，dislike， advocate，complete，appreciate ，avoid，enjoy，delay，escape，deny
## basic 与 elements 重复，保留一个即可。
例如：I appreciate having been given the opportunity to study abroad two years ago.
7# This book will help you master the basics of good writing.
8) Dr.Sun Yat-sen wants to Japan by means of a big boat.
8# Dr Sun Yat-sen want to Japan by boat.
① forget to do 忘记要去做某事(此事未做)，forget doing忘记做过某事(此事已做过或已发生)
9) He has no sense of principles, whether he is in public or in private.
② stop to do 停止、中断(某件事)，目的是去做另一件事。stop doing 停止正在或经常做的事
###Me: he cannot realise whether he is in public or in private. 简化。另外：whether in white or in black= black or white; whether in theory or in practice= in theory, or in practice.
③ remember to do 记住去做某事(未做)，remember doing记得做过某事(已做)
9# He has no principles, public or private.
④ regret to do对要做的事遗憾，regret doing对做过的事遗憾、后悔
⑤ try to do努力、企图做某事，try doing试验、试一试某种办法
1) It makes me feel painful to think that she has to work 12 hours a day and seven days a week.
⑥ mean to do打算，有意要…，mean doing意味着
## make sb feel painful 可直接用动词。it+e及物动词+sb. it makes me sad= it saddens me, it makes me cheerful= it cheers me.
1# It pains me to think that she has to work 12 hours a day and seven days a week.
2) It will be our aim to ensure proper health care for each and every one of the Chinese people.
## Our aim 可以直接做主语，It is our position= our position is; it is my proposal that=my proposal is that/ I propose that.
Not knowing what to do, he went to his parents for help.
2# Our aim is to ensure proper health care for all Chinese people.